Unable to produce MPCO file for post processing after running analysis

Hello! In this section we'll talk about the post processing module and the data visualization.
BorislavTodorov

Unable to produce MPCO file for post processing after running analysis

Post by BorislavTodorov » Wed May 20, 2020 2:40 am

Hello,

I have created a model of a three span RC bridge (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t-1Zdp ... ga9yNCoi5h) that I am trying to evaluate eigenvalues and perform static analysis on. Originally, when running analysis the STKO program would crash to desktop. I followed another thread and downloaded the HDF5 dll's and now the analysis will state it is completed and opens an OpenSees command window that only displays "press any key to continue".

Problem is, there is no .mpco file that is created for the post-processor, and based on the text dialogue, I am unable to find any errors in the STKO model. Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,
Boris

STKO Team

Re: Unable to produce MPCO file for post processing after running analysis

Post by STKO Team » Wed May 20, 2020 3:02 pm

Dear User,
there is no .mpco file because you have warnings shown in the figure below. The model is unstable for mainly two reasons. First of all, if you use compound, node are overlapped and not merged, so a lot of elements are free. We suggest to merge elements of the model in order to delete overlapped elements.
Second of all, there are no properties and/or conditions applied on interaction.
See the attached file, we suppose interaction conditions, but you can modify them as you need.
In addition, we suggest to use Penalty Method with plane constrain.
Please, let us know if you have other problems.
Attachments
RC_Bridge.7z
(123.67 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
warnings.JPG
warnings.JPG (48.52 KiB) Viewed 357 times

BorislavTodorov

Post by BorislavTodorov » Wed May 20, 2020 8:43 pm

STKO Team,

Thank you for your insightful response! It is much appreciated. I noticed that my OpenSees command window was not showing any warnings because it was version 3.2.0 that I had transferred in my STKO folder manually. Placing version 3.0.3 instead reproduced the warning messages. Does this issue of overlapping and merging nodes occur in STKO only? I see similar warnings in a different bridge model I had developed in OpenSees.

I did not understand what you meant by no properties applied on interaction. Could you provide me more details? An example or tutorial video of this would be excellent.

Thank you very much once again,
Boris

STKO Team

Post by STKO Team » Thu May 21, 2020 10:18 am

Dear User,

If you don't see any warning with version 3.2.0, it might be a side effect: If you donwloaded OpenSees 3.2.0 from the official opensees website, there where 2 bugs related with fiber section and elastic section. So probably you started opensees and you did not see any output because there was a crash in opensees.

If you want to use version 3.2.0, there is a precompiled version with those bugs fixed, hosted at the PUCP university of Perù at the following page:

https://www.pucp.edu.pe/profesor/sabino ... ducciones/

There you will find a link to download the installer for the opensees 3.2.0 sequential and parallel solvers:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ETGQ3Y ... sp=sharing

If you donwload the lastest version of STKO, it will automatically detect those solvers without doing anything manually.
I did not understand what you meant by no properties applied on interaction. Could you provide me more details? An example or tutorial video of this would be excellent.
The interaction is just a CAD entity. If you do not assign any ElementProperty or Condition it will not produce anything in OpenSees. For example if you want to create a equal dof constraint, you first create the interaction, then in condition you create a new mp.equalDof and assign it to the interaction.

You can find all relevant tutorials in our webinars here:
https://asdeasoft.net/?stkowebinars-for-opensees

There you can access all video recordings and files of our previous webinars