Editing nodes

S.T.

Editing nodes

Post by S.T. » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:04 am

Hello Everyone,
How can the nodal coordinates be edited? Right click on the nodes does not show any editing option. Also, at the end of your work, you may find that there are extra nodes that you want to delete. Rational way of doing that can be selecting only nodes and pressing the delete. However this deletes every thing. A delete should not erase nodes that are part of the other elements. Without editing nodes, how the UI can be used to make any model? What is your way of editing nodes and the geometry of your model?

Thanks

Clarabella

Re: Editing nodes

Post by Clarabella » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:21 am

Dear ST,
stko works with geometries and not with Orphan meshes like sap, midas or etabs. This is typical of more advanced programs used in aerospace or mechanical engineering such as Abaqus or Ansys.
The node is a vertex of the geometry and not a node of the mesh. You need to mesh your geometry to see the mesh.
Please check our tutorials:
https://asdeasoft.net/?stko-tutorials
In particular: T2 | STKO OpenSees Geometry Modeling Boundary Representation (BRep)
Regards

S.T.

Post by S.T. » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:37 pm

Dear Clarabella, you knew that by node I meant vertex. I am in the Geometry, drawing a simple frame. I don't want to mesh so early. After finishing with the geometry then I would mesh. At the geometry stage, the user must be able to edit the "vertex". You send me to several each more than one hour presentation and don't tell me how I can edit a "vertex"? If you have that in a presentation, please tell me which one exactly and about where if that is a long presentation. Also, please don't assume users have not worked with advanced software. Most of advanced ones are clear that the Geometry and Mesh should be prepared in other software. But also they do provide means for editing the geometry while you are working on it. For example, Code_Aster has a nice "Shaper" that has parametric modeling, also you can put your input as a variable in a table then use it and adjust it later on as you wish. We are here because we know Opensees, and STKO before being anything else is supposed to help using Opensees. In STKO, so far, there is no connection between the script and the input so that you can modify the geometry through live script. Back to the question: how do you edit coordinates of the nodes?
Thank you,

Lucy2012

Post by Lucy2012 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:44 am

Dear ST,

Our apologies for the assumption made by Clarabella, several users confuse mesh with geometry, but since you are an advanced user, we did not need to clarify this.

Could you explain with more details what you would like to do? Do you use Salome with code aster to edit the nodes? Which command do you use? With some more details we will try to help you.

Thank you

S.T.

Post by S.T. » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:07 am

It is not unreasonable to expect right clicking on a node (sorry, vertex!) in the geometry stage expecting to see a property window that allows you editing at least the coordinates. Also, the Exchange should let users import lines as DXF, CSV, TXT files. Guys, first things first! You don't have that but you have implemented a lot of mechanical design file formats. I cannot wait for you to implement these. I have to find another solution, but how come that STKO still doesn't have the basics!

Horace Horsecollar

Post by Horace Horsecollar » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:54 am

Dear S.T.,

we highly appreciate the comments of our users and take them into serious consideration.

We are a team of highly specialized and recognized researchers with long experience in research and design. Our team has more than 200 publications on journal papers, and so we are not stranger to the basics of these programs. However, all the programs are different. We do appreciate your suggestions and advice, but we kindly ask you to keep your posts professional.

We have investigated your problem. Code Aster or the Gui Salome edit the mesh nodes of the orphan mesh and not the vertex of the geometry, which are very different issues.
We developed our program for the needs of researchers and developers, and we are aware that sometimes can be not as user-friendly as other software available in the market. This is why we have developed extensive webinars, tutorials, and the manual. It is also why we have our user forum. Our desire was to create a tool for researchers not already available in the market, for these reasons we do not use orphan meshes and we don't plan in the near future to implement them.

I hope this clarifies our position. If you have additional issues or complaints about our program you can contact directly prof,. Camata (he told me you met him already and you have his contact). He read your post and he is aware of your comments, he can provide all the details you need and answer all your technical questions regarding future developments.

Again thank you for contacting us. Best regards

Orazio