Loading ground motion files with *.AT2 format

S.T.

Loading ground motion files with *.AT2 format

Post by S.T. » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:51 am

Currently there is a reader tcl file in OpenSees that removes the heading lines from an AT2 ground motion file. Then the ground motion can be read by one line of command such as:
timeSeries Path 1 -dT 0.02 -filePath A-ELC270.AT2 -factor $G
However, in STKO the definition editor has a small button at the list_of_values line. It seems the user is supposed to convert the file from a 6-column value to a one-column format, then copy and paste it in the STKO. How can the user just use the Reader tcl and the one line command, rather than copying and pasting text files after conversion to a single column? The better option would be just providing the PATH and filename for the ground motion in STKO if that is possible. I know that I may be missing something, but this answer can help all new users in future.
Thanks

marafini.f

Re: Loading ground motion files with *.AT2 format

Post by marafini.f » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:56 am

Dear S.T.
If you want to use the string command for the timeSeries as you wrote it you can just place it appropriately in the AnalysisSteps with a customCommand (before any loadPattern referencing that timeSeries).
In the Definition Editor we ask the user to input the timeSeries Path values so we can provide the updated graph below. It is also an additional step that invites the user to be aware of the units of his/her timeSeries, if it's an accelerogram for example if it's in g or m/s^2.
We did not give the option to simply source an external file, we will think whether to include it in the future. In the meantime, if you have to deal with numerous timeSeries, you could write yourself a script to edit all files in the same way.
Hope this somehow helps.
Francesca

S.T.

Post by S.T. » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:46 am

Dear Francesca,
I prepared a spreadsheet to make one column ground motion files. I was able to copy and paste the numbers in the table and its plot showed up below the window.

Thanks for your clarification.

marafini.f

Post by marafini.f » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:30 am

You are welcome