US System of Units and Shapes

S.T.

US System of Units and Shapes

Post by S.T. » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:23 pm

In the STKO database for sections, I couldn't find steel shapes per AISC Manual. Is there a way for the user to add other shapes that probably are not included in the STKO? Also, the Fiber Section where you enter section dimensions, units are all in metric system, is it possible to tell the software to take numbers without consideration of units?
Basically, I would like to know if using STKO in the US is supported? If not, what is the best way to handle that?

Thank you for your time answering this!

marafini.f

Re: US System of Units and Shapes

Post by marafini.f » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:18 am

Dear S.T.,

Of course, using STKO in the US is supported!
First of all, STKO uses the same approach of OpenSees for the unit system, therefore it's your choice which unit system to reference and your job to be consistent with it.
In reference to the Section Editor indication of units, those are there just to facilitate the visualization of scale transformation or to remind the user to be consistent. But you can input your values in inches, even if it says mm, the value you input will be the one that will be applied to the section.
To create additional sections which are not present in the options. You can either use the "user" option at the end of each category. Like for example here for I sections, you can define your own values for the most relevant dimensions.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (119.22 KiB) Viewed 170 times
Or the shape that you want is not present in the options, you can either draw it yourself in STKO and import it in the FiberSection editor (it is well explained in our manual https://asdeasoft.net/pdf/Manual_STKO_Oct_2021.pdf).
Or if you just need it to be elastic you can use the custom section from the database and input all geometric parameters (in this case you won't be able to visualize your section extrusion in the pre and post processor, unfortunately).

I hope this helps, let us know if you need anything else.
Francesca

S.T.

Post by S.T. » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:40 am

Thank you for clarification. I ignore the units; and I think these units can be eliminated in the subsequent updates.

marafini.f

Post by marafini.f » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:30 am

Thank you for your input.
Enjoy your modeling :geek:
Francesca

S.T.

Post by S.T. » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:10 am

Hi Francesca,

Overall the dynamics of interaction between the python script and the GUI is not clear to me and so far I haven't been able to find that information. It would be a great help if you point out to the document or videos that can makes this topic clear.

Thank you for your support.

marafini.f

Post by marafini.f » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:36 am

Try and look at this webinar
https://asdeasoft.net/?webinar#020

And all the other ones that mention the Python API.
Plus there are some examples and explanations here
https://asdeasoft.net/stko-wiki/

Even if it's still under construction.

Enjoy and let me know if you have some specific questions.
Francesca :geek: