Python File Modification for Units (mm, kN)

amb_1

Python File Modification for Units (mm, kN)

Post by amb_1 » Thu May 30, 2024 6:18 am

Dear STKO Team,

I hope this email finds you well. First and foremost, I would like to express my sincere gratitude for providing the GaussRandMat method. It has been immensely helpful in my research on material anisotropy.

However, I have encountered a challenge related to the original model dimensions. The provided dimensions are in millimeters (mm) and Newtons (N). When I attempted to convert the model dimensions to meters (M), I encountered issues with the Python file. Despite my efforts to modify it, the problem persists.

Would it be possible for someone to assist me in modifying the Python file to use units of meters (m) and kilonewtons (kN)?

Thank you in advance for your help. I truly appreciate your support.

Monace.Pasoke
Attachments
unit(m,kN).rar
(1.53 MiB) Downloaded 94 times
unit(m,kN).png
unit(m,kN).png (448.67 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
unit(mm,N).png
unit(mm,N).png (552.31 KiB) Viewed 1430 times

amb_1

Re: Python File Modification for Units (mm, kN)

Post by amb_1 » Thu May 30, 2024 7:20 am

Dear STKO Team,
I would like to extend my gratitude for the damage materials you have provided, which have been instrumental in my research on structural damage.

I am writing to inquire about the availability of the ASDConcrete1D material. I have encountered an issue where the DamageTC1D material does not work on Linux systems. Could you please inform me when the ASDConcrete1D material will be available? Additionally, if possible, could you share the code or provide a link to the material on GitHub?

Furthermore, I am currently engaged in a soil-structure interaction study and have come across a problem while analyzing structural damage and failure. The model runs smoothly when using single-core computation (OpenSeesMP-Parallel-one-core section), but I encounter difficulties with multi-core computation (OpenSeesMP-Parallel-Multi-core section). In the model, the soil mesh is coarse with a grid size ranging from 0.1 to 0.2, while the structure employs a finer mesh with a grid size between 0.01 and 0.02. Despite my attempts to partition the grid across different cores, the issue persists. I suspect it might be related to the software’s parallel computing grid partitioning. Would you be able to assist me in modifying the model to address this problem?

We sent you an e-mail with the modified file.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Best regards

Monace.Pasoke
Attachments
one-core section.png
one-core section.png (565.04 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
Multi-core section.png
Multi-core section.png (416.87 KiB) Viewed 1425 times

STKO Team

Post by STKO Team » Thu May 30, 2024 7:54 am

I think you shared the files in N/mm.
I am writing to inquire about the availability of the ASDConcrete1D material. I have encountered an issue where the DamageTC1D material does not work on Linux systems. Could you please inform me when the ASDConcrete1D material will be available?
We are working on it. probably with the next OpeNSees version

amb_1

Post by amb_1 » Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:40 am

Dear STKO Team,

Thank you for your patience and help..

I am currently working on Course 30, "Understanding the Problem of Strain-localization and Fracture-energy Regularization," and I've encountered an issue that I hope you can help me resolve. The Python code provided on the official website is designed for model dimensions in N and mm units. However, my research model uses kN and m units.

If it would be possible to provide a new Python file based on the original one, but adapted for the metric system (M) units (kN, m)? This would greatly facilitate my work and ensure compatibility with my model's dimensions.

To assist you in understanding my request, I have attached the original Python code for the (N, mm) unit system from the official website. I would be grateful if you could provide a modified version of this code that works with the (kN, m) unit system.

Thank you once again for your time

Best regards,

Monace.Pasoke
Attachments
unit(mm,N)_python.rar
(2.82 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
unit(mm,N).rar
(785.86 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
scale.png
scale.png (15.19 KiB) Viewed 208 times
unit(m,kN).rar
(88.17 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

amb_1

Post by amb_1 » Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:54 pm

Dear STKO team,
I am encountering a problem while trying to record the crackPattern in my model results. I've noticed that the recording is only effective when using the ASDConcrete3D material. However, when I switch to the Damage TC3D material, the recording becomes ineffective.
Specifically:

With ASDConcrete3D material: crackPattern is successfully recorded
With Damage TC3D material: crackPattern is not recorded

Could you please advise on why this discrepancy occurs and how I can resolve it? Is there a way to record the crackPattern for the Damage TC3D material, or is this feature only available for certain material models?
Thank you for your assistance.
Best regards,
Monace.Pasoke
Attachments
Probelm.png
Probelm.png (53.96 KiB) Viewed 173 times
Case-I.png
Case-I.png (66.93 KiB) Viewed 173 times
Case-II.png
Case-II.png (59.42 KiB) Viewed 173 times
crack_model.rar
(1.55 MiB) Downloaded 10 times

STKO Team

Post by STKO Team » Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:17 am

To adapt the script for a different unit system just change the values you have in the User Input session of the script:

Code: Select all

# =================================================================
# User Input
# =================================================================
# The size of the 3D sample matrix (NxNxN). Don't make it too large!
N = 150
# How many different materials you want to obtain
NThreshold = 20
# the mean value of the compressive peak strength (fcp)
mean = 34.5
# the standard deviation for fcp
sdev = 3.0
# a correlation factor... you can keep it as it is
alpha = -3.5
# the tensile strength
ft = 3.1
# the Young's modulus
E = 27606.0
I am encountering a problem while trying to record the crackPattern in my model results. I've noticed that the recording is only effective when using the ASDConcrete3D material. However, when I switch to the Damage TC3D material, the recording becomes ineffective.
It's only for ASDConcrete3D