Choose Material for TRM modelling

marafini.f

Re: Choose Material for TRM modelling

Post by marafini.f » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:14 am

Dear Larisa,

your model first was failing because it was too big. Too many elements and too many results requested.
To test the computational capacity of your computer your should always start with a smaller mesh and then move forward.

Then it was singular, because you did not add the embed in the first analysis stage. Like that the two faces are floating and you have three separated geometries.
I did not get why you are adding again the vertical load in the second analysis stage, I think the point of putting the sp with Uz=0 is to keep the effect of that load but not push the specimen to lower down, so in my opinion, you should not add it again.

Then your vertical analysis was failing because of your tolerance. You used 1e-0.5 which maybe it's ok for rotations, but in the vertical analysis you expect only displacement, so I would keep 1e-0.3.

I did not run the analysis to the end but like this it should work. Have a check.
MACRO_R_edits.zip
(231.22 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
See you tomorrow I hope :)
Francesca :geek:

Larisa GR

Post by Larisa GR » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:24 am

Thank you Francesca,
marafini.f wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:14 am
Then it was singular, because you did not add the embed in the first analysis stage. Like that the two faces are floating and you have three separated geometries.
I did not get why you are adding again the vertical load in the second analysis stage, I think the point of putting the sp with Uz=0 is to keep the effect of that load but not push the specimen to lower down, so in my opinion, you should not add it again.
I didn't realize this, I meant to add the embedded element from the beginning, I might have erased it without realizing!

Regarding the size of the model, I changed it several times to make it small but as you told me in previous posts if the element was too small I had an error with the fracture energy.

It works, thank you very much!

I will see you next Wednesday! Sorry I wasn't able to be present the past two sessions!

marafini.f

Post by marafini.f » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:44 pm

You are welcome!
See you next week :)
Francesca

Larisa GR

Post by Larisa GR » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:11 am

Dear Francesca,

Regarding my problems with the embedded element to model a masonry wall reinforced with TRM, you were right. The problem was the material.nD.PlateRebar in the Section.LayeredShell as you said.
When I tried what Massimo suggested, this is adding to the Section.LayeredShell a 3D material, the damage results for the fibre can be seen and the results are really good (see figure attached)

However, this model only takes into consideration a layeredShell with mortar since I do not know how to model the two directions of the textile (which previously was modeled with the material.nD.PlateRebar and inserted in the LayeredShell with 0ª and 90º direction). What should I do now? Massimo suggested to used an orthotropic material (which needs first a DamagedTC3D material). So, should I model the textile with a DamageTC3D (with zero compression) and then transform it to the orthotropic and then add it to the layeredshell section?

Thank you!
Attachments
MACRO_R_3dshell.rar
(166.95 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Solucion error layer.PNG
Solucion error layer.PNG (485.41 KiB) Viewed 240 times

marafini.f

Post by marafini.f » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:50 am

Dear Larisa, I will make some attempts and let you know, probably next week.
Just one question, is the curve in the background in the monitor the one you obtained with the PlateRebars?, let's say the curve we want to recreate or the experimental one?
Could you provide both?

Larisa GR

Post by Larisa GR » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:09 am

marafini.f wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:50 am
Just one question, is the curve in the background in the monitor the one you obtained with the PlateRebars?, let's say the curve we want to recreate or the experimental one?
The background curve in the monitor is the experimental envelope curve that I want to recreate.
I'm attaching the excel file with the curve I obtained with the Plate Rebars and the experimental one.

Thank you again for your help!
Attachments
Curva.rar
(62.12 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

marafini.f

Post by marafini.f » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:43 am

Ciao Larisa,
so I did not have time to finish but here is the thing.
I set up in this model the physical properties in the order they need to be to obtain the same behaviour you had with the PlateRebar, but using the Orthotropic Material and the PlateFiber.

Now there are three things left to do:
  • check the DamageTC3D properties for the BTRM, I don't think the ones I took from the 1D are right like this, please do check the behaviour.
  • test the response with and without the orthotropic material (as it set now), it should yield the same response if you put the DamageTC3D in the LayeredShell or if you use the PlateFibers referencing the Orthotropic material, as I gave the same properties in all directions.
  • assign appropriate properties to the out of plane direction to verify the hypothesis of near zero shear strength
Please do tryout all these points and then we can discuss further :)

Enjoy your modelling
Francesca :geek:
Attachments
MACRO_R_3dshell_v2.zip
(298.92 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

Larisa GR

Post by Larisa GR » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:06 pm

Thank you Francesca

I will start working asap on this! Once I have results or doubt (whichever come first) I will post it!

Thank you again!!!

Larisa GR

Post by Larisa GR » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:48 am

Hello!

I've been working with the model and I encountered some problems, regarding this point:
marafini.f wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:43 am
test the response with and without the orthotropic material (as it set now), it should yield the same response if you put the DamageTC3D in the LayeredShell or if you use the PlateFibers referencing the Orthotropic material, as I gave the same properties in all directions.
I started by applying the DamageTC3D in the LayeredShell and I have some convergence problems (see figure attached). In each step, It iterates a lot until it converges, however it reaches a point in which it doesn't converge anymore.

One of the things I realized is that in the model I provided you the compression Fracture energy of the masonry was wrong. It was larger than the actual one, which I calibrated in the model where only the URM is tested. Could it be that the reason why it was converging before and not now?

I run the model with the higher compression fracture energy of the masonry and I obtianed the some outcome, convergence problems.

How should I proceed?

Thank you!
Attachments
Error BTRM 3D analysis high Gc.PNG
Error BTRM 3D analysis high Gc.PNG (91.01 KiB) Viewed 213 times
Error BTRM 3D analysis.PNG
Error BTRM 3D analysis.PNG (73.42 KiB) Viewed 213 times

Larisa GR

Post by Larisa GR » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:50 pm

Well, I started the model from scratch and now its working! With the DamageTC3D in the LayeredShell, I will now move to the orthotropic material and let you know!

Thank you!