Error During Analysis

nisaralikhan

Error During Analysis

Post by nisaralikhan » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:50 pm

Dear STKO Team,
I have built the RC portal frame, as per my understanding, I defined everything correctly. But during analysis, I get an error which states that "forceBeamColumn could not invert flexibility" the detailed error screenshot is attached. I am also attaching the full model in a Zip folder (20211204_Bare Frame.zip). Would you please be so kind to check the model and let me know what is the mistake in it?
Thanking you.
Kind regards,
Nisar
Attachments
20211204_Bare Frame.zip
(141.03 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Error.jpg
Error.jpg (255.56 KiB) Viewed 175 times

STKO Team

Re: Error During Analysis

Post by STKO Team » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:11 am

Here's a working version of your model:
20211204_Bare Frame.zip
(144.47 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Errors:
  • The fixities were applied to 2 vertices that were detached from the frame structure. So the structure was unstable. You did not need to create those 2 vertices. You should have simply applied the fixities to the end-vertices of the frame model.
  • A the end of the gravity analysis you need to reset the pseudo time to 0, otherwise the following displacement-controlled analysis, which uses the pseudo time as load multiplier, will start from a non-zero value.
  • The tolerance is too large. It accumulates errors at each step until the error is so large that the results are meaningless.
Suggestions:
  • In this model you don't need to use a Penalty constraint handler. The layout of your constraints is so simple that you can easily use the transformation method. (I changed it already)
  • You are modelling in N-mm, but the vertical loads are 195 N. Are you sure you didn't want to apply 196kN? (I did not change this, you can do it if necessary)

nisaralikhan

Post by nisaralikhan » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:43 am

Dear STKO Team,
Thank you for your prompt response and detailed explanations. Yes, I have done a mistake by putting 195 N instead of 195000. but when I put 195000 N it gives me again the same error.
I even tried to reduce the tolerance from the default value but all in vain.
Looking forward to hearing your response.
Kind regards,

STKO Team

Post by STKO Team » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:37 pm

Yes I forgot to mention that I already increased it using the cFactor = 1000 in the loadPattern.