Failure of a Masonry Infill in RC Frame Analysis

ankurjain1992

Failure of a Masonry Infill in RC Frame Analysis

Post by ankurjain1992 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:37 am

Dear Sir,
If i do the Time History Analysis on a RC Frame analysis with infill masonry and the infill fails at some point of the analysis then it should be removed automatically using Collapse recorder and then the analysis must continue for the rest of the frame.
But in my case the whole analysis stops as soon as the infill fails.
Can you help me what changes I do in the code so that the analysis continues for the rest of the frame after infill fails.? I am using the same code as explained in the video taught by you in e-learning.

Also one thing, in which direction shall i apply the infill mass at central node??? Does it depend on the Global Axis??

Thank You in advance

STKO Team

Re: Failure of a Masonry Infill in RC Frame Analysis

Post by STKO Team » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:15 pm

You should be more specific. What do you mean? are you having convergence issues?
I just tested the files downloaded from our webinar page and the model converges to the end.

ankurjain1992

Post by ankurjain1992 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:08 pm

STKO Team wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:15 pm
You should be more specific. What do you mean? are you having convergence issues?
I just tested the files downloaded from our webinar page and the model converges to the end.
There is no problem with your files sir.

My doubt is that what if Masonry infill fails while the Time History analysis in progress.
I have used your code but the input values are changed as per my structure data....
The problem is that my analysis stops at some 5980 steps and the analysis didn't converge... But the total steps are 27090....

Why the analysis is not converging with my data of infill?
Units are all fine.
With your data I can get convergence...

STKO Team

Post by STKO Team » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:35 am

So it is perfectly normal.
When you change your parameters, it may happen that your model is (for example) more brittle, and you may need to play with the nonlinear analysis parameters a bit more, to obtain convergence.

This is what usually happen in nonlinear analysis. They are not guaranteed to converge.

ankurjain1992

Post by ankurjain1992 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:16 pm

Thank you so much sir