Micro-modelling of masonry wall

kesavapraba

Micro-modelling of masonry wall

Post by kesavapraba » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:39 am

Dear Sir/Madam
I have a question regarding one of your demonstrations in E-Learning section of ASDEA, i.e., Micro-modeling of masonry wall. I am curious to understand why you did not use any interface element for unit-mortar junctions. Is it adequate to use the continuum model for unit and mortar only, and not to use any interface element to achieve required accuracy? If yes, in what way the using interface element in micro-modeling would improve the results? Kindly request your time to share your thought on that

Clarabella

Re: Micro-modelling of masonry wall

Post by Clarabella » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:35 am

Dear User,
there are several techniques available to model masonry structures in 2d and 3d. There are several papers published in literature on this topic. If we focus on continuum models and interface models you mainly have 4 options:
1) Continuum macro models in which the mortar and the bricks are assumed homogeneous (isotropic or orthotropic)
2) Continuum and interface elements. Mortar can be modeled with interfaces and bricks with continuum elements
3) Continuum micro models in which the mortar and the bricks are modeled explicitly.
4) Mortar and bricks continuum with an interface between the mortar and the bricks.

1) Is the most simplified, the orthotropic works well, the isotropic should be avoided. Several researchers use this approach (see for example the concrete damage plasticity in Abaqus), however if your model is calibrated for shear failure, it cannot work perfectly for flexural failure becuase the masonry is orthotropic not isotropic!
2) More advanced than 1) but you need to insert the interfaces. For example adding interfaces also within the bricks.
3) We believe it provides better results than 2) but it is more expensive because of additional degrees of freedoms
4) It is the most advanced.

From our experience nr 3 and 4 provides very similar results and they are the most precise modeling techniques available at present. Thanks to the IMPLEX solution it is possible to run large models, even of entire buildings.

Best regards

kesavapraba

Re: Micro-modelling of masonry wall

Post by kesavapraba » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:38 am

Dear Sir/Madam
Thanks a lot for your reply which gives clarity and answers my question very well