Rocking wall and zero length elements

GusO

Rocking wall and zero length elements

Post by GusO » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:38 pm

Hello.

I'm working on a model that has a concrete rocking wall. For this I calibrated two Zero Length Elements first in a separate model to be later integrated in the concrete wall model, but I cannot make the model run with this condition with the error message: WARNING ZeroLength::setDomain(): Element 31423 has L= 2, which is greater than the tolerance.

I've attached both models, the first one is what I want from the zero length elements and the second has the wall and the springs at the base. I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks
Attachments
Rocking wall model.zip
(300.01 KiB) Downloaded 18 times

kesavapraba

Re: Rocking wall and zero length elements

Post by kesavapraba » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:55 am

Typically, a zerolength element should have its nodes at the same coordinates. Otherwise, opensees would display the warning that you received. The warning message is not an error, hence the analysis should run fine unless there are any other issues in your model.

First model: It runs fine even though there is warning. So, the warning, in this case, is not a problem.

Second model: zerolength element is not assigned to any part of your model. Please double check.
:: With best wishes ::
Prabakaran Kesavan

GusO

Post by GusO » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:42 am

Thanks for you answer. I've updated my model and the zero length elements make sense now. I added extra components on the rocking wall, including post tension elements. The problem that I have is that the model stops working and converging at certain part of the load protocol and I cannot find the error.
Attachments
Rocking wall 04-18.zip
(213.44 KiB) Downloaded 14 times

kesavapraba

Post by kesavapraba » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:25 am

I would suggest you to try pushover (monotonic) analysis first. If everything goes fine, cyclic analysis can be carried out subsequently.
You should consider inputting reference load values for the cyclic analysis in the same/closer order as the lateral capacity of the wall. You can consider using penalty constraints for the analysis as MP constraints are being used at many places. Penalty factors should be provided referring to the average stiffness value from the stiffness matrix of the model.
:: With best wishes ::
Prabakaran Kesavan