Moment release at end beam

Telec

Moment release at end beam

Post by Telec » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:03 pm

Hello to all,
can you tell me how to insert a moment release at the end of a beam? I have a continuous beam on several supports (the supports are other underlying beams) and I would like to insert a release at a support so as not to transmit moment. How can I do in OpenSees / STKO ?? Thanks.

STKO Team

Re: Moment release at end beam

Post by STKO Team » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:21 am

You can use the HingedBeam special-purpose material/element that we have in STKO.
Basically, it allows you to draw your beams as continuous in STKO, and it will take care of duplicating the end-nodes and connect/release certain DOFs.

In our e-learning page https://asdeasoft.net/?stkowebinars-for-opensees
you can have a look at the first part of the 7th webinar:
#07 Learning Opensees: Nonlinear Modeling of RC Frames (Lumped Plasticity)

In the first part, we compare 3 columns. The third one is a lumped-plasticity column, and it used the HingedBeam element. There, we assigned a unixial material at the rotational DOFs to represent the plastic-hinge. You can instead do not assign anything, and it will work as a complete release of that DOF

Telec

Post by Telec » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:42 pm

OK ... so basically we have to use a zero length and not check the box in the direction we want the release. In my case dir4 / 5/6. While in the other directions I enter the material of my element. In my case it is a steel beam and I plugged in my Steel01. But a question: assigning to dir3 (in my case is the z direction) the Steel01 material is in contrast with the elastic material that I assigned to Vz with the section aggregator?
hinged.rar
(89.15 KiB) Downloaded 16 times

STKO Team

Post by STKO Team » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:00 am

Dear user,
it is not clear to me what you want to achieve from your model.
Could you please post a sketch where you explain what you want to model?