Support for 2D PML elements

Hello! In this section we'll talk about the post processing module and the data visualization.
jfhuang

Support for 2D PML elements

Post by jfhuang » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:02 pm

Hello STKO team,

I was trying to record results for the PML elements implemented in OpenSees (https://github.com/OpenSees/OpenSees/pull/503). The mpco recorder seems to work for the 3D PML elements (8-node element) well as shown in the attached image "PML3D.png".

However, it does not work for the 2D PML elements (4-node element), as shown in the attached images "PML_2D (include PML elements).png" (obtained with the newest version compiled by Prof Tarque on Oct 14, 2021, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ETGQ3Y ... 5Mk7C/view, as seen the analysis stopped at the first step) and "PML_2D (include PML elements, Linux version).png" (compiled on linux, which showed a Segmentation fault was encountered). On the other hand, if I only record regions composed of "normal" elements (2D plane strain elements) the analysis could proceed but of course, no results for the PML elements were recorded (see "PML_2D (exclude PML elements).png").

Based on the above tests, additional efforts may be needed to support the 2D PML elements in STKO and it would be great if we can have it! Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Junfei
Attachments
PML_2D (include PML elements, Linux version).png
PML_2D (include PML elements, Linux version).png (19.8 KiB) Viewed 141 times
PML_2D (include PML elements).png
PML_2D (include PML elements).png (89.98 KiB) Viewed 141 times
PML_2D (exclude PML elements).png
PML_2D (exclude PML elements).png (22.8 KiB) Viewed 141 times

STKO Team

Re: Support for 2D PML elements

Post by STKO Team » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:16 am

Dear user,
Thank you for spotting this issue.
Probably it is an incompatibility on how the PML2D creates results. If you could send me a Tcl file to test it, I will debug it to speed up the identification of the bug.
We will also add support for the PML in the stko pre processor